1st XV 2013/14 Season

Biggleswade 10 16 Cuffley

Cuffley travelled to Biggleswade for the seasons league decider. We started strongly into the wind and pinned Biggleswade in their 22 for the first 20 minutes, but could not get the ball over the line. Our scrum was solid but we struggled in the lineout this left our backs living off scraps. Biggleswade came back into the game by the boot of their skipper and our over eagerness at the breakdowns giving the ref no option but to penalize our boy's. The second quarter was all Biggleswade with their driving lineout working well, but our stubborn defence has frustrated a lot of teams this season and with our midfield of Michael Stevens, Ollie Flowers and Chris Webb stopping every attack Biggleswade had little to show for their efforts. Our forwards all worked their socks off to hold the line, their big forwards were knocked back time and again, we gave them a few penalties but they only turned one into points giving Biggleswade a 3 point half time lead.

If the first half was a tense affair, but the second half was a real nail biter neither side playing the type of rugby that got them to this point of the season. We started to use the wind putting up a series of bombs, keeping Biggleswade in their half and forcing them to make mistakes our ploy paid off and Will Payne put us level with a penalty. Unfortunately from the restart we lost the ball and then missed a close up tackle allowing Biggleswade to touchdown under the post for a 10 v 3 lead with 20 minutes to play.

Our strength this season has been that we never know when we are beaten and we set up camp back in their half. From a scrum just inside their half Michael called a set move and a disguised inside ball set Matt Deamer on a great line he almost made the line but just failed to find his support, but this gave the rest of our boy's the lift we needed.

Biggleswade now started to struggle at the breakdowns and the penalties came, Will put 2 over to bring the score to 10 v 9. We even had 2 more chances which just missed the pressure was building and showing on the players and everyone on the touchline. With 2 minutes left Biggleswade won a lineout near their line and drove up close to the side-line to run the clock down for the victory, but we forced their scrum half to use the ball Matt Jones was all over him as he was throughout the game, this made him rush his pass it was dropping short of his intended receiver, he nudged it on and as he had been doing all match Michael Stevens was at him he ran onto the loose ball and sprinted untouched 30 meters to score in the corner.

I didn't see him get to his feet as all our support and replacements engulfed him closely followed by the rest of the team, Will added the conversion to give Cuffley Rugby the title. A fantastic day to end an unforgettable league campaign, to put it in perspective we are a village rugby club with a small but determined squad of players who never give up trying for each other. You can't win an 18 match league without the whole squad putting the time and effort in, the boy's that didn't get the chance to play yesterday are all a part of the seasons success and everyone played their part. They are Paul Crabb, Aaron Jones, Dom Waller, Dave Jones, Ross McBride, Jaleth Glyn, Ben Treadwell, Ronan Macintyre, Dan Pearce, Perry Roberts, Alex Keilty, James Thurgood, Joe Garratt, Nick Sirbek, Aaron Elks, James Saunders, James Chilli Charlton, Beau Gamby, Ross Clayton and not forgotten Club Captain Tom Webb.

Finally the whole squad would like to thank all the family, friends' supporters and old boys that made yesterday a special occasion. H

1st XV Match Reports

Grid view
List view