1st XV 2013/14 Season

Bishops Stortford 12 36 Cuffley

Cuffley travelled to Stortford for a crucial rearranged league game. As we head to last few games of the season we know we have to stay on top of our game if we want to go to Biggleswade on the last Saturday of this league campaign to play for the title.

Our game plan was to keep their big pack moving around the park and to not allow them to hold us up in the choke tackle, after a slow start we started to play our way we took the ball to ground early give Jonesy the fast ball we needed to give our backline a chance to run the ball. We played with the wind and Crabby pinned their fullback deep in his 22 with some soaring kicks, our kick chase adding to the pressure, Stortford gave away a penalty under the post and Crabby took the points. We were soon back on their line with Matt Deamer now adding to the aerial bombardment almost knocking their fullback off his feet as he miss judged the balls flight, Cuffley made the pressure tell and Daisy crashed over near the posts, Crabby added the conversion.

We really forced our game onto Stortford, our scrum was starting to dominate and we cleared the breakdowns to keep the ball moving, from another fast ruck just inside their 22 slick passing saw Will Payne dive over for a fine score. Stortford came back at us with a long kick that we failed to clear and the ref awarded them a penalty try as we held one of their players back for a cheap 7 pointer. Cuffley regrouped and where soon camped on Stortford's line from a series of 5 meter scrums with the ref failing to award a penalty try to us we eventually scored with Jones breaking down the blind beating two players and finding Matt Deamer who scorched over the line for the score, Crabby added the conversion from the touchline. Half Time 7 v 22 to Cuffley.

The second half saw Cuffley playing all the rugby, forcing Stortford to kick most of their possession away allowing us to run straight back into their half. At this point we looked and played like a team that had the victory in the bag, with our bench ready to take to the field we had a little rout on their line, I informed Ash Lawson he was about to be replaced but only after he had scored from the lineout, I would like to say it was my coaching brilliance that Ash soared highest and went through their line to touchdown but it was all his own work. We took Ash, Tredders and Daisy off and brought on Perry Roberts, Eric And Nick Sirbek they were straight into the action with Nick having a great cameo role he crashed up into their line and cleared out at the ruck turning ball over with one effort resulting in our last try the ball went wide Will drew his man and passed to Matt Deamer who galloped home for another great try, again Crabby added the conversion. Stratford were awarded another penalty try by the ref for a very strange incident in the corner, Stortford's kicker showed his lack of interest in the game by missing his drop goal attempt from under the sticks. Final score Bishop Stortford 12 Cuffley 36.

The score was actually 12 pts to 34 pts but the ref was sure he was correct and you should never question the ref. This was a great result against a strong team that was made up of players from their higher sides this always happens with bigger clubs particularly at home when the other sides have no games and they have already been beaten by what they see as a lesser club, it makes the win more satisfying. We played as a complete team with the pack totally dominant against a much bigger unit and our backs defending and attacking on the front foot giving them very limited options. It was for me a fantastic all around team performance. Well done boys. H

1st XV Match Reports

Grid view
List view